Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Dining Adventures in the TO

So, I don't know about you, but if I am in an unfamiliar place, I often ask the locals where they would take friends to dinner. I shouldn't have asked the concierge at the Sheraton. They sent us (even though we had an indepth conversation about being foodies) to Alice F-something, a Italianesque psuedo Earls or Stanfords. Despite Journey being pumped through the speakers it seemed OK but not what we wanted. Instead, my intrepid Edmontonian friend Carmelle whipped out her BlackBerry and we trekked eight blocks to Terroni.

I usually don't go out for Italian. I'm fairly adept at whipping up a Lasagne al Forno or Tortellini Procsiutto so tend to frequent restaurants with cuisine that would challenge my skills.

I am more than glad I visited Terroni.

Amazing food. We started with simple bread and olives with truffle and fresh calimari garnished with just a squeeze of lemon. My Ravioli Truffati was beyond any pasta dish I have experienced outside of Italy. I could wax about the complexity of the sauce even though it was simply created, but that might seem boring and really, I am not a restaurant reviewer (though I would be open to it!).

Our initial wine (red $75) was a bit of a disappointment, but then we ordered another variety from the same region that was only $45... and considerably better. Word to the wise re: ordering off "featured" list - this is not always good when there is a vast VAST wine list to discover.

The next night's meal was at 360 The Restaurant at the CN Tower and even if the food was crap (it wasn't) the view along would be worth the price. (see video)




I ended up there for dinner with a conference presenter (William, intranet guru) and five attendees (Darby, Donna, Eveline & John) after I accepted a general session invite. I have to say we all geeked out, talking intranets, platforms, technical difficulties outside the firewall... well, you get the idea. It was great.

It was made even better, when John checked his email and announced his grandson, Hunter, had just been born. Congrat again!


I chose prix fixe menu:

Amuse bouche
LOBSTER AND APPLE SALAD
 Wonton crisp, spiced lime crème fraîche

Appetizer
IAN’S HEIRLOOM TOMATOES AND FIFTH TOWN’S “LEMON FETISH” CHEESE
Basil oil, sea salt and vincotto


Main
SLOW ROASTED, AGED, CANADIAN AAA PRIME RIB OF BEEF
 Rosemary bread pudding, summer vegetables (brocollini and new carrots), natural jus

Dessert
DARK CHOCOLATE TOWER WITH SUMMER FRUITS
Raspberry vanilla crème Anglaise

Beverages included an Ontario Cab Franc ($67)and Vasso sparkling water from Norway.

No comments:

Post a Comment